Selling your car or bakkie privately doesn’t have to be complicated. With a little research and organization, you can simplify the process and get the most profit possible.
Use this simple step-by-step guide to help you along the way.
Step 1: Determine the Bakkie or Car’s Worth
Sometimes the decision to sell a vehicle privately comes down to the amount of profit you’ll gain through the transaction.
Before you can decide whether or not the process will be worth the effort, you’ll need to find out exactly how much your car is worth.
Step 2: Gather the Paperwork
If you wait to do this step toward the end of the process, you find yourself scrambling for all the necessary documents. A better approach is to gather everything you’ll need to finalize the transaction once you’ve decided to sell your car or bakkie privately.
As a general guide, be prepared to have:
• The title.
◦ You’ll need to sign the title and hand it over to the new owner.
• Maintenance records.
◦ Keeping up with scheduled maintenance can increase the value and reliability of your vehicle.
◦ If you’ve kept all of your maintenance records, great. If you haven’t, you can get them at the dealership or mechanic who handled your services.
• Bill of sale.
◦ A bill of sale is used to document the terms and conditions in the event of a dispute, and can release you of certain liabilities.
• Release of Liability.
◦ This form will keep you from being liable for any damages incurred after the vehicle is sold. Without it, there could be a dispute over accidents or other events that occur before the vehicle is registered under the new owner.
• Warranty documents.
◦ If the car is still under the manufacturer’s warranty or an extended warranty, you’ll want to have these documents ready to provide to the new owner.
• As-is documentation.
◦ If there are no warranties, make it clear that the potential owner will assume all responsibility for repairs and damages once the vehicle is sold.
◦ You can sometimes include this on the bill of sale.
Step 3: Get the Car Ready
A clean vehicle will be more attractive to potential buyers, and give the impression that the car or bakkie has been properly cared for.
Before you take pictures of the vehicle or list it online, you’ll need to detail the interior and exterior of the vehicle. If you decide to do this yourself, be sure to:
• Wash and wax the exterior of the vehicle.
• Clean the rims and tires.
• Replace or wash old floor mats.
• Vacuum the floor, seats, and trunk.
• Clean the ashtrays.
• Wash the windows inside and out.
Step 4: Take Pictures
Once the car is clean and detailed, you’ll want to take plenty of pictures. This will aid in your efforts to advertise the vehicle and attract potential buyers.
Be sure to take multiple shots from different angles and choose the best of your selection when you create your ad. A few shots you’ll want to be sure to include are:
• The exterior.
◦ Both sides.
• The interior.
◦ Front and back seats.
Step 5: Contact Car Buy Kings
The easiest way to sell your used car or bakkie on the same day for instant cash is to either call us on 083 300 9350 or go to our website and fill out the quick application form and we will get in touch with you immediately.
Step 6: Finalize the Sale
- We agree on a price and preferred payment method.
- We complete an agreement of sale contract that we provide (you can provide your own contract if you wish to) and change of ownership papers.
- If there is a settlement amount outstanding with the bank we will make the payment and organise to collect the relevant papers from the bank.
- We will pay you and take the car away.